This is a place where politics and history coincide and generate meaningful conclusions and perhaps some new ideas along the way…I believe it’s time that people who have not traditionally been politically active — need to start making their voices heard.
Now that I’ve organized some of my thoughts and placed a few articles here I think there are a few points that show through:
- It’s a very informal writing style – which mirrors the way I speak to people (especially once I get to know you well enough to be comfortable with with you…..which sometimes only takes sharing your pretzels…..)
- I value sources / citations and an academic / scientific approach to serious inquiries or studies. This isn’t quite meant to be that detailed yet (and assumes that you’ll have a fair working knowledge of some basic historical events and timelines)….while you won’t see a formal bibliography anytime soon – I will leave clear indications, links and references to what I feel are important sources that I’ve read/digested in the past 20 years or so.
- Urgency is important and I hope thats coming through…one of the initial values I attached to the Blog is the ability to get drafted thoughts, connections and historical contexts / parallels — in writing quickly. The formatting and finer points of managing the Blog were intended to come later (you don’t say……_)
- Some people are going to read this and just think that I’m somehow summed up as “Anti-Obama”. And there’s some truth there – I think he’s clearly the worst President we’ve ever had and has done more harm to the structure of the Republic (while OPENLY ENCOURAGING the advance of like minded Marxists)….for the record I thought Bush Jr was the single worst until now……I won’t spend ANY time defending those beliefs. Unless you WANT to destroy the form of government we have in place, you’ll eventually have to concede several of my points.
- I get sidetracked…..sometimes I feel like I’m making an important (if not vague) connection … and at other times I’ll just suddenly think about putting a new bridge piece on my Gibson Les Paul and get all tickle inside…..it happens to the best of us.
Before outlining the concept I should thank a few friends:
Possum is like a note bending John Galt-ish dude – we’ve spent many hours in political conversation (he deserves some type of medal for that) and he also came up with the name for this Blog – so, thank you Possum…..(remind me to get back with you on a counter offer for the L/P)
The 5 random people who suggested I start a Blog – and then the 6th person who put it over the top — my IT guy.
Yeah – we were engaged in a good conversation about the concept of “left” and “right”(the contemporary concept of L vs R comes from the Germans BTW) in the U.S. and his suggestion to start this thing (and Trump’s victory over Clinton) was the straw that broke the camels back….so thank YOU, IT Guy.
Finally, my wife – for agreeing that this is a good idea — did she have a choice?
… For seeing me daily and knowing me as you do — and STILL believing this was a good idea — thank YOU, Mrs Wife!
OK – now to the details on what this Blog is meant to be (and not meant to be).
Taking a page from acadamia I’m going to list an abstract style overview of topics the Blog will cover and set some boundaries / limitations on what it will not do.
50 Amp Fuse is focused on history and politics. The primary objective will be to examine contemporary U.S. political discourse – with particular attention to the political “left”. The examination will be made in light of historical facts and a wide range of observations will be made. The Blog will draw attention to overlooked or forgotten corners of history which I believe are extremely crucial to understanding modern U.S. politics. I will also establish a new name for a certain segment of the American Left – and clearly demonstrate the historical and political connections to Marxism.
Limitations – what this Blog will NOT do:
- I will not tell others what to think and (assuming comments are placed here) will not argue my points. I believe a great deal of what I have to say will stand on its own.
- I will not advocate any specific political party (although I strongly detest communism and will take a shot at those murderous bastards whenever I can…wait….was that in my “outside voice”???).
- At times there will be inferences drawn from history – this is a natural method of making the points I intend to convey however I will not engage in wild predictions about the future of this country or pursue “conspiracy theories”.
- I will not call for political revolution – unless a foreign or domestic enemy has clearly assumed control of the U.S.A as this Blog develops.
- I will not introduce religious beliefs as a necessary component to understanding or agreeing with my political philosophy. I believe a devout Christian and an Atheist can equally see the logic behind what I have to say – as well as the value in many cases.
- I will not use melodrama, scare tactics, or other forms of ‘bad mechanics’ to support my points. I will however, at times, encourage people to become more involved politically (even in small ways).
- I will not make any connections or ties to friends or family members. If you know me, then please understand that I will not mention your name on this site even if you inspire me to add something to the 50 Amp Fuse.(for example – “Possum” isn’t his REAL name….)
- I will not fabricate a fictitious collective. I don’t have a political mouse in my pocket! (If I did I’d call him Gerald…he’s getting rather old but he’s a good mouse….). So I am not going to pretend that I speak for “the vast majority of Americans” or something similar. HOWEVAH – there may be moments where feedback is sent my way that indicates agreement from readers. In that case (or in the event comparisons are made with other, like minded groups) you may see me referring to “The Collective We”
- Finally, I will NOT make my assertions from a standpoint of ignorance – I have spent the last 16-18 years studying history continuously and do not intend to create hollow, emotion driven assertions that lack facts (that’s generally called “propaganda” by the way)
There you have it – we’re going to be getting a lot of information out there in the coming months. I will do everything in my power to summarize writers like Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and Aldous Huxley in a manner that makes a meaningful point, isn’t dry and doesn’t require you to be a history major to digest the information.
For now, I think that sums up what this site is about — and speaking of truly heroic men – if you don’t know about this guy – you really should learn more: